This material is copyrighted! See
my copyright notice for fair use practices.
- thin material that is transparent to only a
narrow range of wavelengths of light.
- flat universe
- a universe that stop expanding only
after an infinite amount of time (a special case of an open universe).
- the amount of energy passing through a given area
(e.g., one square centimeter) in a second. It is the apparent
brightness of an object.
- one of two special points along the long axis of an ellipse such
that the addition of the distances (satellite to focus#1) plus (satellite to focus#2)
always equals the same numerical value.
It is not at the center of the elliptical orbit unless the orbit is perfectly
- any action or influence that causes an acceleration.
- the number of wave crests that pass a point every second.
Measured in hertz (Hz). For electromagnetic radiation,
the frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength.
Glossary links (select a letter for definitions of astronomy terms
beginning with that letter):
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z
last updated: 27 May 2001
Is this page a copy of Strobel's
Author of original content: