This material (including images) is copyrighted!.
See my copyright notice for fair use
|elliptical galaxy ||irregular galaxy ||spiral galaxy
- What is a typical size of a galaxy? What is a
typical number of stars in a galaxy? How do you know? What holds them all
- What separates a cluster of stars from a galaxy?
- What are four basic distinguishing characteristics between a spiral
and an elliptical galaxy? What kind of galaxy do we live in?
- What is the most common type of galaxy? How does their proportion in the
universe compare with the proportion of them shown in astronomy books? Explain
any differences there may be.
- Why are irregular galaxies called irregulars?
- Why do you see more galaxies when you look in a direction perpendicular to
the Galactic plane than when you look along Galactic plane?
Go back to previous section --
Go to next section
last updated: 26 May 2001
Is this page a copy of Strobel's
Author of original content: