This material (including images) is copyrighted!.
See my copyright notice for fair use
|active galaxy ||quasar ||radio galaxy
|Seyfert galaxy || ||
- Compare the luminosity and size of the power source for quasars to that of
a normal galaxy.
- Contrast the shape of the spectrum and the relative power at different
wavelength bands (X-ray, ultraviolet, visible, infrared, radio) for the energy
coming from quasars (and active galaxies) to that from mormal galaxies
- What produces the huge power output in quasars and active galaxies?
- What could cause the power generation to ``turn off'' and later turn back on?
- What determines the type of active galaxy (i.e., Seyfert 1 or 2, radio galaxy,
BL Lac, etc.) you will see?
- What is the broad-line emission region and what must the orientation of the
disk and dust ring be to see the broad-line emission region?
- What are the jets in active galaxies and how are they produced?
- Why are there many more quasars billions of light years away than nearby?
Include in your explanation a contrast of the conditions of the universe billions
of years ago to the current conditions.
- What does the changing number of quasars with increasing distances tell us about
the character of the universe?
Go back to previous section --
Go to next section
last updated: 26 May 2001
Is this page a copy of Strobel's
Author of original content: